Excitement is mounting as camp is next week. Here are a few reminders:
- The children are to be at school on Tuesday morning at the normal time, in mufti, with their big bag and their back pack. We will stack their luggage in the pathway of our hub.
- Living Springs have notified us of the importance of bringing a single bottom sheet, due to having new mattress protectors
- In their back pack the children will need their morning tea and lunch in a lunch box, a water bottle, their wide brimmed sun hat, sunscreen, a waterproof jacket and any medication (such as inhaler or travel sickness medication)
- Other medication is to be in a ziplock bag with the medicine authority form filled in (sent home already) and handed to Katie.
- The following items should not be brought to camp: money, electronic devices, torches, cell phones, cameras, toys.
- Please label all clothing and items being brought to camp.
- When we return on Thursday, the children will need to be picked up from our hub so we can sign them off. They will be very tired and may need help with their luggage. We estimate we will be back at school from 2:30-3pm. If your child will be going to Bosco upon their return, could you please inform us.
Long jump at Hillview Christian School
Unfortunately due to the rain and weather forecast, this even has been cancelled.
If your child would like to enter the Canterbury Triathlon. Please, use this form to enter your child for the Canterbury Triathlon.
This event is being held at Pegasus on the 28th of November. A good level of fitness is required as this is a tough endurance event. This is a perfect event for those children who really love a challenge. The children who have enter previously have loved this event and the sense of satisfaction that comes with completing the course.
The race is as follows:
Year 5/6: 75 m swim, 4.5 km bike, 2.5 km run
Year 7/8: 100 m swim, 10.8 km bike, 2.5 km run
The swim takes place in the lake and there will be times when the children will not be able to touch the bottom. There are no lanes. While the children race in heats, there are still quite a few competitors starting at once, which the children should be prepared for.
Transportation and supervision for this event must be organised by individual families. We are also required, as a school to provide one adult helper to assist with set up or pack down, and have marshaling duties. This adult must be free from responsibility for any competitor. Please let me know if you are able to fulfil this role.
Zone athletics sports on Monday 12 November
Congratulations to those students who have qualified to represent our school at the zones. This will be held at Hansens Park. Children who are competing on Monday are to meet in the Kauri hub at 8:20am. They are to be wearing sports shorts and a Beckenham sports top. With them they should have their school bag with a big lunch, water bottle and their school hat. If they do not have a school hat they will not be allowed to compete.
In terms one and four, a red wide brimmed/bucket hat is a compulsory part of our school uniform. It is important that we promote being sunsmart at school. Every student must wear their hat at break times and during any learning times outside, including PE and sports. It would be very helpful if you checked that your child/ren has a named hat at school.
At this time of the year we often find that a number of children have run out of essential stationery items. Not having the correct equipment at school becomes a barrier for learning, and is frustrating for all concerned. To be ready for learning every child should have a pencil, pen, eraser, glue stick, ruler and pencil sharpener. We would very much appreciate your support for ensuring your child is prepared for the school day.
Beach Education opportunity
We are pleased to be able to offer your child/ren the opportunity to attend a full day Beach Ed programme, at the South Brighton Surf Club. Beach Ed is a full day surf safety course delivered at the beach by surf lifeguards, and is age-appropriate learning for our year 4-6 students. Beach Ed also covers module 8 of Swimming NZ Kiwi Swim Safe Program.
Activities on the day may vary depending on conditions but will cover the following:
- A tour of the South Brighton Surf Club.
- Teaching of surf safety rules.
- Identification of and how to escape a rip current.
- Beach games - relating to a skill to stay safe on the beach including a sand sculpture of a rip current.
- How to set up a beach patrol, reinforcing safety messages.
- Water activities. This may include mock rescues, using bodyboards, channel/hole identification, and survival using a flotation device.
- Lifeguard in a rip.
- Sun smart tips.
We will be travelling to South Brighton over two days, splitting our children into two groups. The Year 6 students and those students competing in the Canterbury Triathlon will be going on Tuesday. The Year 5 and 4 students will be going on Wednesday.
Dates: Tuesday 27th November & Wednesday 28th November
Time: Leaving school at 9:00 am, returning to school at 3:00 pm both days.
Location: South Brighton Surf Club (cnr Bridge Street & Marine Parade, South New
Cost: It will cost the school $13.50 per child to carry out/run this activity/trip. A
request for your contribution to support this additional activity will be added to
your child's next account.
The PTA have kindly donated $1000.00 towards transport costs for this trip, for which we are very grateful.
In order to make this fantastic, educational day a success, parents and teachers must participate in both water and beach activities. We require a minimum of one adult for every five students in the water. It is essential that parents and teachers bring their togs and be prepared to get wet. We are unable to take Preschoolers on this trip.
To this end, we are asking for 10 parent helpers per day, 20 in total.
This will be fantastic opportunity for your child. Without you we cannot run this event.
Please contact us ASAP if you are keen to come and help out on one or both of the Beach Ed days.
We are sending home a paper copy of this information today.